Wednesday 28 October 2015

Milan - Monumentale Cemetery

So, after a fantastic couple of days in Bergamo, I headed to Milan.

The food wasn't as impressive, and my final conclusion is that I could never live there as I would spend all my money on clothes.
A popular food custom in Milan is "Aperativo" which is basically an early evening buffet. People seem to go after work and the average price seems to be around 8-10€. I also went to an Italian Street Food festival, which was interesting as all the stalls had different food from the various regions, however I was disappointed to find the American Hot Dog and Burger food stalls too.

The highlight was this...
Martina & Mauro, took me to Monumentale Cemetery. An eerily wonderful place and the biggest cemetery in Italy. Every grave seems to be a stand alone piece of art, it's impressive to say the least. Photos cannot do it justice. There are thousands of graves with statues in place of a tombstone. The sheer quantity and size of some are only to believed when seen in the flesh.
An occurring theme was weeping women, fascinatingly morbid in my opinion yet beautiful. I wondered who would choose such a tombstone.
I wish I had had more time to wander around.





















No comments:

Post a Comment